Friday, December 19, 2014

Director's Cheer: 20 FAQs # 2

From the Director's Cheer:

FAQ #2: What was the most inspiring moment during filming?


A: I know it sounds cliché, but the whole experience was so inspiring and instructive in many, many ways. The moments that awaken real heartfelt memories for me are the ones of Alyssa Highly, who plays Sally, sidling up to me and revealing her inner experience of the work.

I remember the day we set up the rain rig for the scene when Sally goes out of Granny's hut to play in the rain. Alyssa came to me later and said quietly, You know, Sally is changing me, and  for the better I think. 

She described that Sally, the character, not just the work of acting, was chaging her life.  Hearing her speak fondly of the character was inspiring. I realised how much she was internalising  the work of building character. She was gainfully employed in the  craft of acting - how inspiring!

Alyssa explained that Sally was helping her to remember a time when she was more fun, and had more fun. When she played outside and was more energetic. "Mostly, I only play indoors on my iPad games, but Sally and I do  have one thing in common, we both love to read!"

On set, Alyssa had this way that voracious readers and diligent, talented writers/ artists/ actors have. She spent time observing everyone and detecting something essential within each member of the cast and crew. She assigned nick names and offered nuggets of poetic wisdom well beyond her years. "Aunty Jo, I see you as "Nature". I see you love everything so natural." 

I think we were all inspired by her effort and presence, and as a director I would say her work ethic was inspiring. Remember, she was 11 at the time of filming and turned 12 just as we wrapped principal photography. She came to set in northwest Trinidad every day from far out in the east, past Arima. A trip that took close to 2 hours daily. (Thank you to Leslie Caton and others who helped facilitate her travel!) And since she was in almost every scene, I have to say it was remarkable that she showed up so fully and willingly day after day, with no complaint. It's the kind of devoted work ethic that most grown ups struggle to manifest.

And I am inspired too by Alyssa's family who supported her, and us.  In fact all our children's families - Granny's, aunty's, siblings, Mom's and Dad's - their support was always ready and evident. They never groused about academics, or other extra curricular, yet Sally and many of our other child actors successfully completed their SEA exams just prior to principal photography. 

This is crucial in a country without any realistic arts focus, either in schools or in employment opportunities. For film makers of children's content, it is encouraging to know that some parents and teachers are finally understanding that it is not an 'either / or' scenario. When we work together, kids can follow and fulfil their dreams in a stable and wholesome way. And that's inspiring!

All in all, it must be said  that finding and working with Alyssa and all our child actors, Alliana, Sarah, Dyani, Angel, Sydney, Abiel, the Mahadeo sisters - they all made this film project possible.

JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment